Why is Oregon constantly at or near the top for unemployment, homelessness and hunger?
In the end, a lot of the economic problems we face come down to family wage jobs, or the lack thereof. If our economy was on track and people had jobs, many of the challenges we face would be workable. Schools would have funds, public safety wouldn't have to cut patrols and the neediest of our citizens would be taken care of.
I believe we must work together to come up with better strategies to create family wage jobs, and that involves putting partisanship aside. Solving problems and getting people back to work is always more important than political posturing.
So here are some of my ideas to improve our economy. I have and will continue to work across party lines to accomplish these and other goals:
- Create stronger public and private partnerships between counties and local employers to help train youth entering the workforce. This segment of our population has the highest unemployment rate.
- Keep tax credits for families with disabled children so families are not as economically strapped.
- Repeal Cover Oregon, the equivalent of Obamacare, and let the private sector offer services competitively.
- Remove unnecessary regulations on small businesses which prevent business growth and expansion.
- Reduce tax rates on small businesses so they do not pay higher rates than large corporations.
- Expand vocational and technical training programs at LBCC and OSU
- Reduce tax rates for low- and middle-income families so they have more spending money to support local businesses.
These are common sense solutions that should have the support of legislators of both parties. Unfortunately, my opponent does not agree. In contrast, as State Representative, Sara Gelser voted for special interest tax loopholes for corporations and the wealthy, and she increased taxes on small businesses so they pay 40% more than large corporations.
These are policies that will not help create local, good paying jobs. It's time we head in a new direction, and I ask for your support to help me make that happen!